Pages

Tuesday 16 November 2021

pH Indicators

 Hello today I and my class are learning about pH indicators. 

Definition: pH (potential of hydrogen) is a scale of acidity from 0 to 14 with 7
being neutral.
All solutions have a pH. Acid solutions, have lower pH. Alkaline solutions,
have higher pH.
Substances that aren't acidic or alkaline (that is, neutral solutions) usually have a pH of 7. Acids
have a pH that is less than 7. Alkaline have a pH that is greater than 7.

Write down the 15 substances from the diagram and beside them list their pH level.

List them under 2 headings. 1. Acidic 2. Alkaline

Experiment: Red Cabbage indicator.
Equipment:
Red Cabbage
Knife
Bunsen Burner
Beaker
Water

Method:

Cut the cabbage into small pieces.
Place the cabbage in the beaker and fill it with 50 ml of water.
Once the cabbage has boiled for 2 minutes turn it off and leave it to cool down.
Name another pH indicator used in a science lab?

Here are 4 Acids. Battery Acid, Stomach Acid, Lemon and Vinegar.
Here are 4 Alkaline's. Drain Cleaner, Bleach, Soap and Baking Soda.
By using red cabbage as an indicator we can determine what the pH level is of substances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.