Pages

Wednesday 3 March 2021

The Broadstreet Killer

Hello everyone welcome back to my blog, today i'm going to share a story with you. First let me explain about the story. The story is a non-fiction book about 1900 London that was written by Chris Nokes. The story is first about a killer on the loose that then they find out was a disease and then... So now I think that I told you some background information lets get to the story.

So like I said, the story first start with people thinking that there is a killer on the loose. Here is a bit from the story. "In the district of Soho people were dying. By the end of the day seventy Soho residents were dead." and another one. "In fact the doctors solved the mystery. And the culprit? Cholera."

There is a second part but its a bit boring so ill just skip it but there is a bit but Charles Dickens. "In the country the rain would have developed a thousand fresh scents, and every drop would have had its bright association with some beautiful form of growth or life. In the city it developed only foul stale smells, and was a sickly, lukewarm, dirt stained, wretched addition to the gutters."

This third part is called Air ... or water? "which they called miasma, carried disease. But one man thought differently. Doctor John Snow had studied other cholera epidemics in England." This is where doctor John Snow comes in and he says that it's coming from the water but other people think that it comes from air. Then he writes a letter to the editor of medical times and gazette.

But thank you for reading. If you have time please leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really interesting! I might have to look at getting this to read myself. Did you have a favorite part Tom?

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.